Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sometimes I Amaze Myself - Part Deux

This is another one of those meals that I was like, wow...I came up with that?  Friend Kassie informed me that there is a Greenmarket each Wednesday at 49th/1st just across from the UN.  This is very exciting to me, as I no longer have to schlepp down to Union Square to fight with the crowds (not to mention a baby).  The market was excellent.  It obviously isn't as huge as the Union Square market, but the selection is excellent.  Last Wednesday I was in a "spending" mood and couldn't resist the fish stand.


Fish isn't super popular in our house.  I absolutely love fish, but usually do not purchase it as hubby will not touch fish with a ten foot pole.   This time I decided to rebel against the norm of  chicken, pork and beef, and splurge on the fresh caught mahi mahi.  The gentleman at the stand suggested broiling or grilling as method of preparation.  Since grills are a bit difficult to come by here, I chose to broil.  I also picked up some delightful vegetables while I was there, and was able to put together a healthy, colorful quick meal.  This was my result:





Broiled Mahi Mahi with Fresh Summer Harvest Salsa


Coat baking dish with a small amount of olive oil (to prevent sticking).  Sprinkle fish with creole seasoning or other seasoning of choice.  Place under broiler.


Meanwhile, sauté chopped red onion in a bit of XV olive oil, add fresh corn (cut off the cob) and fresh diced tomato (I used the yellow heirloom variety).  Cook together until tomato and corn are soft.  Then add desired amount of fresh chopped cilantro.  Continue to cook just until cilantro is slightly wilted, but still bright green, 1 - 2 minutes.  Place fish on plates, spoon abundant amount of salsa over fish.   Enjoy!


Cook's Notes:
I did not add extra salt, as I felt the creole seasoning on the fish contributed enough salt to the dish.
Since hubby does not like fish, I made him a grilled chicken breast, marinated in tomatillo salsa and extra lemon juice.
Also would work well with tilapia or other white fish.
Total prep and cooking time was about 30 minutes.


P.S.  If you don't have Tony Chachere's Famous Creole Seasoning in your collection of spices, I suggest you buy some pronto.  It adds an extra bit of flavor to everything.  Throw it on chicken, fish or other meat for quick flavor, sprinkle on homemade french fries, etc.  Serious.  Buy it.  I swear by it when I need a little extra in a meal without a ton of work.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing! I just read through a few of your posts and I'm craving veggies. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. However, please note that comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks) will be removed. All contents of this blog are personal opinons and experiences.