Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Summer of Community Sustained Agriculture

This summer we decided to join a CSA (community sustained agriculture). For those of you not familiar with a CSA, members pay a farmer a certain amount of money in the early spring to share in the harvest later. The duration averages approximately 22 - 24 weeks and members are brought fruit and vegetables weekly (in our case on Mondays). You can read more about CSA's here.

The mission of our summer was to A. eat more vegetables, and B. lose weight. Since we have so much fresh produce coming in weekly, we must eat several servings of vegetables daily. This has forced me to become VERY creative and I have already learned so much thus far. I'm being exposed to produce that I normally wouldn't buy (i.e. swiss chard and beets), or things I've never heard of (i.e. rat tail radishes, sorrel, and garlic scapes). The goal is to not waste a single thing, and so far I've been doing quite well!

I've been contemplating creating this blog for two months now, and I've decided to finally take the plunge. This will be my place to record and share the weekly recipes I try using produce that is in SEASON, not shipped in from far away places. The taste of local produce is undeniably the best thing about the CSA. When we ate our first meal made with local, fresh produce we went crazy. Norris said: "This is what lettuce and arugula is SUPPOSED to taste like." The flavors were amazing. From that point on I was fully converted.

I hope you enjoy reading about my experience and challenge each of you to find a local farmer to support. You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. However, please note that comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks) will be removed. All contents of this blog are personal opinons and experiences.