Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Week 1

As I said in my first post, it's taken me about two months to get around to doing this, so I'm totally racking my brain here to go back in time (the mommy brain has made me VERY forgetful). I promise I will include pictures as I go along.

Most of my recipes are quick fixes in 30 - 40 minutes. Being a mother of a running and very busy toddler, and working full time, I need to put together healthy meals fast.

Anyway, here's the menu we had for our first meal with CSA veggies. The hubby said he felt like there was a "kickboxing match" going on in his mouth. (yes, that's a direct quote) I had to agree. The idea for the sage brown butter sauce was given to me from my friend Kyndra.

Fresh Sage Brown Butter Sauce over Fresh Pasta
Mixed Greens Salad
Homemade French Baguette
(time: 30 minutes MAX)

Fresh Sage Brown Butter Sauce over Fresh Pasta
3 - 5 TBS unsalted butter
2 TBS coarsely chopped fresh sage
1 lb. fresh ravioli or other fresh cooked pasta
fresh parmasan cheese

Melt butter over medium heat. When fully melted stir in fresh sage. Continue to cook butter and stir constantly until butter begins to turn brown, but not burn, approximately 5 - 7 minutes. Toss sauce with fresh hot cooked pasta and top with parmesan. Serve immediately (bread is excellent dipped in the extra sauce).

Fresh Arugula salad:
Red Leaf Lettuce
Arugula
Garlic Scapes
Radishes

Toss together and serve. The salad was so flavorful we didn't use any dressing, but feel free to add something should you feel so inclined. Right now I'm LOVING the locally produced Kerry Wood Tuscany dressing I purchased at Whole Foods two weeks ago. SO worth it (delicious!)

French Baguettes (courtesy of Martha Stewart)
I made this recipe over the weekend, and the results were excellent. It was a long (but easy) process and very much worth the effort.

The recipe is so long and in depth, that I'm going to only hyperlink to this one here. It's a very authentic loaf.

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Jen, I am very excited about your blog! I read Animal, Vegetable, Mineral last winter and it got me so excited to start with the local produce. Our moved was such that we couldn't feasably join the CSA's around here but I did get here in time to plan my garden (albeit still kinda late) Our branch is full of serious gardeners though and every week people bring in the extras from their gardens and share with everyone so its like we joined our own little mormon CSA. I am so excited to try your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yey! That sounds SO cool! I'm jealous you have a garden! I'll keep the recipes coming - be sure to send me your ideas as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. However, please note that comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks) will be removed. All contents of this blog are personal opinons and experiences.